Why Support CDS
The Center for Documentary Studies (CDS), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization affiliated with Duke University, promotes documentary work that cultivates progressive change by amplifying voices, breaking down barriers to understanding, and illuminating social injustices. When you support CDS, you let the world hear crucial new viewpoints, give people of all ages the tools to tell their own stories, and champion work that highlights our shared humanity.
Thank you for expanding our impact!
Ways to Give
Make a gift online
- Provide vital unrestricted support for all our work
- Direct your gift to one of our Programs or Funds:
- Documentary Diversity Project* -- help CDS mentor and support documentarians of color (*due to current funding, giving site and receipt will say William R. Kenan, Jr. Charitable Trust Grant)
- William and Lorna Chafe Fund – support oral-history work
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival – support year-round education programs
Make a gift by check
- Send a check payable to “Center for Documentary Studies” to:
Center for Documentary Studies
1317 W. Pettigrew Street
Durham, NC 27705
Make a gift of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds:
- Donate via our stock donation form and be sure to list Center for Documentary Studies as the gift designation.
- Duke employees can make one-time or recurring donations to CDS via payroll deduction through https://work.duke.edu under MyPay. In the “Where do you want your donation to go?” field, please choose Center for Documentary Studies 8500364.
Many companies and foundations will match the value of charitable gifts made by employees and their spouses, board members, and retirees. To find out if a particular company or foundation has a matching gift program, check our matching gift database. Click on the name of your company for instructions on submitting matching-gift paperwork, which must be submitted through your company’s HR site. Thank you for taking a few minutes to double your donation to CDS! NOTE: It is extremely important to enter “Center for Documentary Studies” in any comments sections to ensure the matching gift is directed to us.
While outright gifts provide vital resources for us today, planned gifts help to ensure the impact of CDS for years to come.
A gift to CDS can be part of a smart financial plan. Let the CDS development staff and the Office of Gift Planning at Duke University help you and your financial advisors develop a gift plan that meets your financial and philanthropic goals. A properly planned gift may help you reduce or eliminate capital gains and gift and estate taxes. You may realize immediate tax savings as well. You can explore different gift plans in detail on Duke's Gift Planning website.
Fifty or under? Learn more about the Young Affiliates Network for alumni and others in the CDS community who are interested in staying engaged and giving back.
To discuss giving options and find the best fit for you, contact CDS Development Director Mike Gulley: (919) 660-3699 or Michael.Gulley@duke.edu